The World O' Crap Archive

Welcome to the Collected World O' Crap, a comprehensive library of posts from the original Salon Blog, and our successor site, world-o-crap.com (2006 to 2010).

Current posts can be found here.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Happy News



After all the little ones (and Buster) are out of my hair for the night, I will update you on them all, and let you know which ones of you are sponsoring which ones of them. (Oh, and to whoever got Buster: right now he is sighing deeply to indicate that he wants another walk, so please report for duty.)

But for now I just want to announce that, thanks to an incredibly generous donation by The Political Cat. I was able to adopt a kitten who was scheduled to be euthanized today. (The governor signed off on her stay of execution just minutes before she was due to meet her maker, so it was an adrenaline-charged, heart-pounding time, just like in those B-movie thrillers with which you waste your time.)

You can see her photo here. (Just ignore that piece of cloth tied around her neck — apparently her original owners did that, and the shelter left it as proof of identity of something.) However, the shelter will probably remove her profile tomorrow, so look quickly!

She is about 5 months old, is very soft and fluffy, has pretty green eyes, and is probably the sweetest, most affectionate cat I’ve ever met! (Sure, my other cats are nice and loving and such, but they are all Dick Cheneys compared to her.) Which makes it strange that somebody would throw her out of a car in front of the pound, thereby injuring her leg. (It seems to have healed okay by now, but I’ll take her the vet this week to find out for sure.)

Although the shelter called her “Tiny Tina” in an attempt to get the pre-Christmas crowds (and Dickens-lovers such as our friend Bob Marley) to adopt her, it didn’t work, and so she actually has no name. I’ll let her kind benefactor, TPC, do the honors, but you all are invited to make suggestions. I was calling her “Cosette” on the way home, but I don’t want her warbling show tunes in the house, so that probably won’t stick.

Anyway, I think that whole thing proves that, despite what Rick Santorum would tell you, it indeed takes a village to raise a cat. So, thanks. everyone. 

Posted by s.z. on Wednesday, January 3rd, 2007 at 10:49 pm.
 
20 responses to "Happy News"
Just before the governor’s call I heard the shelter workers shouting “Muktada, Muktada, Muktada!”, but I’d suggest changing her name to something a little less foreign-sounding.
She is soooo sweet and pretty! and Maine Coon mixes are very affectionate. Our little Hobbes is very into hugging…and into puking….and into playing in the bathtub after we’ve taken our showers (he loves water). So, be aware of all those things!
Seriously, SZ–she’s a doll. Gratz!
Mirabelle. She’s beautiful.
Puking?
Gah!
Good thing she’s female, or I’d suggest “Mr. Creosote.”
Hmmmmm…
Ooh!
I know! “Regan!”
No, no, no–not that Reagan! Here’s a hint-think Linda Blair.
Now you’re catching on!
Oh, she is beautiful. Thank you, TPC. That baby deserves another chance, and I’m grateful she’s getting one.
This is why I’m not allowed in the shelter. I wouldn’t be able to leave something that wonderful behind, and then my oldest cat would kill and eat all of us before burning the house down and peeing in the ashes. She is not swayed by inherent adorableness nor by the plight of her shelter sisters.
But, man, what a pretty cat. I wonder what she’d look like in a sink, or possibly with stuff on her.
“Schmeldrick”
She looks quite a bit like my late beloved Calliope, who was super affectionate and expressive with people, but had absolutely no tolerance for other cats. She too was deemed a domestic long hair, but she either had some Maine Coon, or more likely Norwegian Forest Cat in her. She’d been brought into the no kill shelter here, adopted and then returned, probably because she didn’t get along with the other cats in the household. Her adoption papers noted that she needed to be the only pet in the household initially, and that a kitten could perhaps be introduced somewhere down the line. I adopted her when she was a year old, never brought a rival into the household and she was just a great friend for the next 13 years. She passed away two years ago February and I still miss her terribly.
She’s adorable. With the relation to Christmas, and her cuteness, why not Lupita, from the Mexican movie Santa Claus.
Ohmygoodness, she’s gorgeous!! And I mean that with double exclamation points!! What to name her? Why not s.z., since she owes her life to you? I’d suggest Faridah after my late beloved Faridah Peeples, but that cat had an unfortunate tendency to put a big hate on all other animals, including people, and that would be an inauspicious name. Two thumbs down on Regan – let’s not encourage her to spew – and Muktada, that’s just bad juju. Mirabelle sounds good, as does Calliope, or Lupita. Or Zuleika might be nice. You’ll just have to let her personality be your guide, s.z. Thanks a million for saving her!
Oh, and bad cess to the rotters who flung her from a car. May they develop arthritis in every limb and digit, simultaneously with pruritic rashes of the worst kind, which they’ll never be able to scratch.
I’m gonna chime in:
Lupita sounds perfect to me!(the cutest kid in any movie ever! I especially love her “suprise take” at the end of the movie, when she sees the Rue Mclanahan doll at the end of the movie…)
I support “Zuleika” for reasons I’m not going to explain.
Eh. I’m no good at naming… catses.
Who the hell throws their cat out of the car?
I mean, if you’re just going to abandon it, how much longer does it take to stop the car, open the door, and place it on the sidewalk? 30 seconds?
Is that extra half a minute really worth both the pain for the cat, and the extra expense and time the shelter is going to have to take to heal the cat?
What is wrong with these people?
Well, some cats just come with good names already and I really don’t see why you don’t keep “Tiny Tina.” I think it suits quite well, (and it all but guarantees that she will grow to about 300 lbs.) but PC certainly deserves to name her after his beloved great-uncle or whatever. Thanks to PC and to you s.z. She is indeed adorable! Like D. Sidhe, I am a sucker at animal shelters, and it appears that I also have in common with DS (and with most of you others here too, I bet!) a love of Stuff On My Cat!
Colette sounds somewhat like Cosette, if you don’t want a big change from what you’ve already been calling her. She is a beauty, though, and three cheers to you & TPC for giving her the life full of love and adoration that she deserves. I know she’ll pay it back to you a thousandfold.
Oh, sure, “sweetest and most affectionate cat ever.” You say that about them all! Just to torture my inner cat lady, who would adopt all of them if my outer cat, Maggie, would let me.
I’d go for Mirabelle – it just sounds right for her.
We had a small, adorable, fluffy maine coon kitty. We named her Ariel (after the Shakespeare play, pre Little Mermaid) because she was spritely and mischievous and playful. She also had the tiniest squeak of a meow you’ve ever heard.
Ten years later, she was 18 pounds of unadulterated evil genius who could eat half a loaf of bread out the grocery bags as we were trekking in and out and never once get caught near the stack of groceries on the table. But at least she still squeaked.
I love WOC because it is so educational. I have never heard of a “Maine Coon” cat. Before I got my little Sapphire from the pound last year, I had also never heard of a “Lynx Point Siamese”. Go Figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment