The World O' Crap Archive

Welcome to the Collected World O' Crap, a comprehensive library of posts from the original Salon Blog, and our successor site, world-o-crap.com (2006 to 2010).

Current posts can be found here.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Mel Knows His Rights!

Why is it always the movie stars who must suffer?
Gibson: ‘I Had My Rights Violated’ During ‘Passion’ Controversy
Mel Gibson insists his rights were violated by the criticism he received for his movie “The Passion of the Christ,” which resulted in resentment which surfaced the night he was arrested for drink driving.

The Oscar winner was arrested on July 28 and subsequently went on an anti-Semitic rant targeted at his arresting officers.

Gibson told “Good Morning America” host Diane Sawyer he has been angry for most of his life, but didn’t realise the extent of the anger he still had over accusations that his 2004 film featured anti-Semitic imagery.

He explains, “The other place it may have come from is, as you know, a couple of years ago I released the film ‘Passion.’

“Even before anyone saw a frame of the film, for an entire year, I was subjected to a pretty brutal sort of public beating.

“During the course of that, I think I probably had my rights violated in many different ways as an American. You know, as an artist, as a Christian. Just a human being, you know.”
What a harrowing tale of brutality, disenfranchisement, and whining!  When will this country do something to protect the right of our artists, Christians, and human beings to avoid having their movies criticized?

And this just confirms what I’ve always believed: Jesus had nothing over Mel when it comes to suffering (and you know, it was the Jews who crucified both of them).

Posted by s.z. on Saturday, October 14th, 2006 at 6:20 pm

16 Responses to “Mel Knows His Rights!”

So basically using the Mel Gibson rationale, everyone who gets on my nerves is violating my civil rights. Next time the bagger at the supermarket puts heavy items in with the bread, I should totally threaten to sue. Because, obviously he’s persecuting me. And squishing the bread.
“Even before anyone saw a frame of the film, for an entire year, I was subjected to a pretty brutal sort of public beating.”
Ah, if only.
Maybe someone should get him sober before they let him talk in public.
Actually, when I saw this, I ended up trying to diagram the dynamic here: Mel says Jews killed Jesus–> Jews get offended –> Mel calls Jews names while drunk because he’s mad they got offended –> Jews get offended –> Mel says Jews are being mean to him which is why he was mean in the first place.
It’s some bizarre blame-the-victims game that has more layers than we’re used to seeing. Why is Mel saying he’s mad at the Jews for being offended by his movie? Because they were offended by his movie. If they hadn’t been offended, he not only would have not been mad at them, he also wouldn’t have said that in public, even if he had been, which he wouldn’t have been because he wouldn’t have been. (But he would still think they killed Jesus. Or whatever. You’d think that with everybody involved being Jewish, that it shouldn’t have set off *interreligious strife*, wouldn’t you.) Honest to God, it makes my head hurt.
Really, is this any different from Mr Allen’s “macaca” moment? When you make racist remarks about someone, you now get to be upset that they’re being racist by recognizing that? Stephen Colbert’s “They tell me I’m white and I believe them but I don’t see color” bit is a work of genius.
And has Mel offered a reason for the misogyny yet, or even an apology, or are we all still pretending that not only is that normal, but it should be. Don’t answer that. I’m already redlining on cynical today.
The passion of the Mel. Coming soon to an anti-semitic theatre near you.
Cue movie voice over guy:
“In a world, where Jooos rule, One man…”
Poor, poor Mel. But, at least he can take comfort in the fact that he’s burlier than Jeb Bush. Unless Jeb actually meant, “fat,” in which case Mel’s SOL.
(and you know, it was the Jews who crucified both of them)
Us italians never get credit for anything.
Excuse me while I get the wah-bulance.
When I saw the title, I thought it was about how the police violated Mel’s rights. That might have made sense, even if it wasn’t true. No, Mel, having never taking a US civics class, thinks that Americans have a right to never be critized. Is he still drunk?
Yeah, Chris. My copy of the constitution clearly says no American shall have his nerves gotten on, or his bread squished. (What? Mel not American? Oh.)
Poor Mel. Persecuted so harshly that he ended up making enough money to buy his own tropical island.
Would be to God that I should someday have my rights “violated” in just such a manner….
Shorter Mel: “If only those damn Jews would shut up and stop complaining!” Gee, I can’t see why anyone would think this man is an anti-Semite.
And yes, the misogyny goes completely without mention. As usual.
Just one other thing: I really am in awe of the way the right has managed to turn itself into the embodiment of the much-despised “victim mentality” without anyone seeming to have noticed. Wish I could figure out how to distort reality so well.
He also called that cop “sugar-tits” because his rights had been violated. He tried to ask out the waitress at Hooters earlier that day and without hearing about one sinle piece of leather that he has in his bedroom, she decline his offer. That violated his rights as a male, an artist, and a good tipper.
I haven’t read any of the news items about Mel Gibson’s “persecution”, because it’s so idiotic. However, I read the comments here because I wanted to see how people were responding. They’re great. How nice to see that some of us are able to maintain a sense of humor about this wacko jerk.
Road Warrior was a fine example of dirt opera. He should have stopped there.
Actually, Buffalo Gal, Melvin was born in upstate New York, and although he lived in Australia for 17 years (from 1968, when he was around 12 or 13, to 1985), he IS an American.
And now (inspired by the bar he was in the night of the DWI incident, Moonshadows) a musical tribute to Sideshow Mel, with apologies to Cat Stevens:
I’m getting plastered in the Moonshadows,
Moonshadows, Moonshadows!
Driving like a bastard from the Moonshadows
Monshadows, Moonshadows!
And if I get pulled over too,
I’ll just ask, “Are you a Jew?”
And if that don’t go over well
Oh, we-hee-hee-hee-hee, sugar tits
I’ll hide in rehab awhile.
Yeah, Mel needs to experience some real persecution. We should get Russell Crowe to toss a phone at him.

No comments:

Post a Comment