The World O' Crap Archive

Welcome to the Collected World O' Crap, a comprehensive library of posts from the original Salon Blog, and our successor site, world-o-crap.com (2006 to 2010).

Current posts can be found here.

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Technical Difficulties

filmbroke.jpg
Thank you for the many kind wishes on the occasion of our anniversary; as s.z. and I frequently marveled, the World o’ Crap commenters are the smartest, funniest, kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human beings in the world — and I’m not just saying that because Angela Landsbury suggested I play solitaire.  She’s not the boss of me!
Second, I’d like to apologize for not demonstrating my gratitude in a more tangible fashion; say, with a new post, perhaps?  Internet and cable have been out since yesterday, but Time-Warner is sending a technician, and with any luck we’ll be back on the air by this afternoon.

Posted by scott on Saturday, August 22nd, 2009 at 8:51 am

37 Responses to “Technical Difficulties”

One of my favorite episodes of all time.
Ayyyyyy, atsa kay, you gooda kid.
Oh, man, the Independent Film Channel is running “Starstruck” right now. It’s a musical. I hate musicals. I love Starstruck. Get it?
Bill, big gay pool scene coming up in about 30 minutes!
Angus: “No. In fact I’m going to throw meself under a bus.”
And he does. Traffic stops. Hilarity ensues. God, I never get tired of this movie!
Jackie Mullins writing lyrics: “Leaping, leaping, leaping for lunch– how does it feel to be salad…”
Jeezus, what fun. I’m tempted to realblog the whole thing.
Coming soon, Angus and the lads perform “I Want To Live in a Box”.
Can they save the pub? It all depends on whether they can crack the big show which won’t book them (through Angus’ machinations).
Most recent quote:
Angus: “Jeez, you crap on, Nana.”
Oh, man Geoffrey Rush just made a brief non-speaking appearance as a roadie. No, I’m not kidding. Glad he he finally amounted to something!
The band, disguised as roadies, just took over the stage.
You know, Tull did this in their tours– I wonder who copied who.
Nevermind:
It’s the Monkey in Me!!
So, they won the 25000 cash prize and saved the pub.
Well, you already knew that. :-)
Time Warner charges double time when the Internet is down and triple to fix it back up.
Now that’s a republic(an)!
Yeah, well. We saw District 9 this morning. Because, you know, I had a migraine anyway, and my partner’s been nagging me, and what the hell, there are aliens and killer robots and car chases and loads of guns, and even a snake.
Normally, when I go see a movie that involves aliens and killer robots and car chases and loads of guns and even a snake, I go to indulge my lizard brain, not so much for a protracted allegory on racial relations. Heavy on the gross, though, so there was that.
This is me, now, home and working my wy through the Alien boxed set. Call it an allergic reaction.
It’s a good movie. It just is a little heavy on the ponderables.
Looks like good fun, D, and I’m looking forward to it (when it arrives on DVD, that is). All I ever really ask from any movie is “tell me a story,” and if it’s magnificently told, well, that’s gravy.
Here in L.A., we were treated to “viral” advertising for District 9 for months via bus bench ads which were quickly defaced by some right-thinkin’ amurrican to read “deport all non-americans”. Serious, some knucklehead went from bench to bench to bench, methodically pasting his little scraps of text over the existing copy.
How quaint.
Also courtesy of the IFC, saw “The Quiet American” (2002) once again and cannot for the life of me understand why it was completely ignored by Academy Award-givers at the time.
Oh. wait–
Add viral movie adverts:
Here’s a website for an upcoming release. Click on the link, and after a few minutes of wondering “what the hell?”, come back here and read the subsequent comment.
Sorry! wow, that was mysterious, wasn’t it?
Ahem: Here’s the link to the site.
Okay, the site has to do with Guy Ritchie’s upcoming Sherlock Holmes and the password is the first name of the woman. Don’t know your Holmes? Awwwww.
It takes a lot of courage, or madness, to bring Sherlock to the screen once again, is all I can say, and so help me, if Ritchie fucks this up, I will personally seek him out and punch him in the nose.
Well, you’ll appreciate District 9, then. It was a good story. Some plotholes, but aren’t there always?
We saw the Sherlock Holmes posters. I’m not even going to see it. Nobody does it well, if you ask me, certainly not well enough to be worth the migraine I get from movies.
Zombieland, on the other hand… You know we’re basically just waiting on a zombie romantic comedy at this point. Somehow I never thought the zombie apocalypse would be a marketing takeover.
You know we’re basically just waiting on a zombie romantic comedy at this point.
What? Shaun of the Dead didn’t measure up? Although it is “a romantic comedy -with zombies” as opposed to “a romantic comedy – for zombies.”
Actually, the most enjoyable Sherlock movie I’ve seen is one not based on any of Doyle’s stories– The Seven Percent Solution.
Nicol Williamson a good Holmes, Robert Duvall a good Watson (not a moron, fuck you very much Nigel Bruce), Alan Arkin a good Freud (!), all this and Olivier as Moriarty, a train chase, what more could you ask? Oh, a wonderfully clever story, of course.
Oh my God. “A Time to Kill” on TNT. Sam Jackson is most definitely the star, but yikes.
Patrick McGoohan as a Southern State Judge. Again, oh my God. May be his best work. Very, very, very, very good work.
For what it’s worth, if an Errol Flynn biopic is in the works, Matthew McConaughey is your boy.
I’m serious– his gait, manner and style are Errol Flynn, big time, and he’s not even trying. No much of an actor but neither was Errol.
‘course, you’d have to teach Matthew to talk like a Tasmanian, and given his work in that German submarine picture, that’d be a lot of work.
Nevertheless, I think it’d be worth it.
Serious, take any picture of Matthew and put a pencil mustache on him.
See what I mean?
The only thing I really ask of Matthew is that he remove as much of his clothing, for as long as he’s allowed, in ANY movie he’s in.
Yes, I’m that easy to please.
“The Seven Percent Solution” is on my list of Movies I Always Intended To See But Never Got Around To.
For what it’s worth, Michael Caine DID get an Oscar nomination for “The Quiet American”. But with two previous wins, I guess they felt he didn’t NEED another. Thing about Caine is, he’s made a LOT of bad movies, because he’s one of those guys who just likes to keep working. But whenever he’s in a great, or even good movie, you can count on him to be a pro.
Are you suggesting that Jaws: The Revenge was a bad movie? I shall have to ask you to step outside, Sir!
Hey, YOU’RE the one who lept to that example. How do you know I wasn’t thinking of “Blame It On Rio” or “Hurry Sundown”?
Second, I’d like to apologize for not demonstrating my gratitude in a more tangible fashion; say, with a new post, perhaps?
I had my eye on that Maserati (sp?), frankly…
I’m probably the only one who imediately thought of “Massarati & the Brain” after reading that, actor212.
“The Seven Percent Solution” is on my list of Movies I Always Intended To See But Never Got Around To.
For what it’s worth, Michael Caine DID get an Oscar nomination for “The Quiet American”.

You’re in for a treat, Bill. Netflix ‘em uppa you queue, I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.
Since you’re checking out Nicol Williamson’s work, I also recommend The Advocate, in which his performance, though brilliant, is simply one among many extraodinary performances.
Colin Firth, Donald Pleasance, Ian Holm, and a special shoutout to one of the most underappreciated character actors of our time, Jim Carter.
Re The Quiet American, yeah, Michael Caine got a nom: it’s easily his best work. The movie was a masterpiece, pure and simple.
Look, let’s don’t even talk about about what swept the Oscars that year.
No, on second thought, let’s do talk about the movie that swept the Oscars that year and the political climate in which it did so.
“Chicago”. Am I alone in finding the flick unremarkable?
Oh, best actor, incidentally, beating out Michael Caine: Adrien Brody, “The Pianist.” Refresh my memory here, what is his most recent work?
There is a new ring of Hell being built for the members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences that scuttled, like cockroaches, away from a motion picture that threatened to expose the invasion of Iraq as the extraordinarily bad idea that it was– as “The Quiet American” most definitely did.
Okay, needed to blow off a little steam. [huff puff huff puff]
Thank you, and I’ll be good now.
Are you suggesting that Jaws: The Revenge was a bad movie? I shall have to ask you to step outside, Sir!
Like Gene Hackman and Donald Pleasance, Michael Caine has wandered into some real stinkers, and oughta have known better, and I wonder if these three guys have the same agent [laughing].
Donald Pleasance couldn’t rescue “Puma Man”– no one could [laughing] and Michael Caine couldn’t save Jaws: The Revenge, but I’ve noticed that Gene Hackman has appeared in a handful of movies that would have been apallingly bad if not for his presence.
He has a gift, let’s say.
The only thing I really ask of Matthew is that he remove as much of his clothing, for as long as he’s allowed, in ANY movie he’s in.
Right, which is why I thought of you when the Big Gay Pool Scene was coming up in Starstruck. I’m talking about two or three dozen guys in Speedos, Bill, so perhaps you’ll want to add Starstruck to your Netflix queue along with “The Seven Percent Solution” and “The Advocate.”
Just spent the afternoon rewatching Jaws: The Revenge (yes, of *course* I own it) and now I’m afraid I shall have to ask myself to step outside.
Well, let us never forget Sean Connery did Zardoz. Michael Caine is forgiven.
Chris,
With you on the Noyce/Cain The Quiet American. A great movie. But I’m OK with Brody winning for The Pianist, he was quite good.
Anyone here see Inglourious Basterds? I did.
It was like watching Bugs Bunny trying to kill Hitler while he was spliced into a movie about movies and the Non-Erotic Adventures of Anne Frank’s Hipster Cousin.
It made me want to take a bat to Tarentino’s head, actually. A meta-bat, of course.
With you on the Noyce/Cain The Quiet American. A great movie. But I’m OK with Brody winning for The Pianist, he was quite good.
I didn’t mean to bash Adrien Brody; he good, okay, he also good in “Dummy”, which was filmed before “pianist” but shelved, and released only after Brody’s Oscar win.
Speaking of which, Milla Jovovich plays a Jersey punk-rocker in the film and obliterates Adrien’s work.
Serious. Milla Jovovich. Punk Rocker. Unforgettable performance. Adrien, well, not so much, and as I say, he is not interesting enough to have contributed any serious work since.
What I am saying is that it is simply ludicrous to compare the performance of Adrien Brody in “The Pianist” and the performance of Michael Caine in “The Quiet American” and conclude that Brody should get a Best Actor award. It just doesn’t make any sense, except in the context of the political climate of the time– see what I mean?
Why does Jay B’s description of “Inglorious Basterds” make me really wanna SEE it?
It made me want to take a bat to Tarentino’s head, actually. A meta-bat, of course.
Yeah, know what you’re saying. Tarantino’s movies are– well the last handful anyway– the most frustrating experience I can imagine.
I mean, you get these wonderful little snippets of absolutely great work, and then suddenly you have to endure twenty minutes of
bewilderingly boring wandering into Quentin’s boyhood enthusiasm for crap genres which don’t really merit a revisit, and well, as you’ve just come out of the theater, I think you know what I’m talking about.
Why does Jay B’s description of “Inglorious Bastards” make me really wanna SEE it?
Beats me, Bill. What, are ya keen on bastards? :-)
It was like watching Bugs Bunny trying to kill Hitler while he was spliced into a movie about movies and the Non-Erotic Adventures of Anne Frank’s Hipster Cousin.
Sorry, Jay, I forgot to compliment you for this line. Nice, nice, very nice.
I think it was the “Bugs Bunny trying to kill Hitler” line.
Okay, the site has to do with Guy Ritchie’s upcoming Sherlock Holmes and the password is the first name of the woman. Don’t know your Holmes? Awwwww.
Annnnnnnnnd it’s a spam trap.
The password is “Irene” folks, but you’ll be asked for your birthyear and email, with a promise to get back to you.
I’ve already seen trailers for it, Robert Downey Jr plays Holmes, and it looked pretty good, but those are trailers and they ALWAYS look pretty good…

No comments:

Post a Comment