The World O' Crap Archive

Welcome to the Collected World O' Crap, a comprehensive library of posts from the original Salon Blog, and our successor site, world-o-crap.com (2006 to 2010).

Current posts can be found here.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mountain Grown, The Stupidest Kind

“Dammit” Janet Folger asks the readership of World Net Daily an important question:
Just who are the haters? Here are some of the blog postings from homosexual activists following the death of one of the godliest men I have ever met, Dr. Jerry Falwell:
[Janet then produces a string of damning quotes, like a magician pulling a chain of multicolored scarves from his sleeve, except these are random, unattributed remarks from imaginary homosexuals, and she's pulling them out of her ass.]
No surprise – this is exactly how homosexual activists treated Rev. Falwell when he was alive. Homosexuals more than hated Jerry Falwell, whom they attacked, maligned, ridiculed and threatened. He didn’t make it widely known, but homosexual activists even attempted to kill him. 
Seriously.  Does anyone really believe that if Jerry Falwell had dodged a fabulous gay bullet, he would have bravely kept it to himself, rather than immediately rushing on camera to claim that God had saved him from the assassin’s hand so that he, the Reverand Mr. Falwell, could continue to enjoy your faith gift of 25, 50, or 100 dollars?
And through it all, he met hate with love.
As Peter LaBarbera of Americans for Truth pointed out on my radio program, when homosexuals protested Dr. Falwell, they were surprised to look up and find the reverend hugging his harassers.
Nevertheless, the subsequent reach-around still came as something of a shock.
…Those kind of hateful statements are perfectly acceptable, free from any repercussions of any kind. They get their own forum at the ACLU. However, if two 16-year-old Crystal Lake girls say an unkind word about homosexuals and pass out a few flyers to their classmates, they are in “violation of an Illinois state hate crime statute.” They face felony charges and are locked up in juvenile detention while bail is denied.
Felony for a flyer or a forum for defilement? It’s not equal rights these people are after; it’s tyranny.
I don’t know the girls in question, but we must assume that their motives were pure, and that they were compelled to speak out by the imperatives of their Christian faith.  Although Janet doesn’t come right out and say so, it’s clear that the girls have resisted the blandishments of our sex-obsessed culture and remained virgins, since any teenager who has sex in Crystal Lake is immediately skewered by a zombie in a hockey mask.  And why shouldn’t these budding brides of Christ have the right to speak out against sinful behavior?  It’s not as though they were engaging in petty revenge against one particular individual
McHenry County State’s Attorney Lou Bianchi said the students clearly broke the law when they printed and distributed fliers that showed a male student and another boy kissing, along with inflammatory statements about homosexuality…

Crystal Lake South juniors Ryan Diamond and Crystal Erdman said the fliers stemmed from a recent dispute between one of the girls who was arrested and one of the boys who was pictured.

The pair used to be best friends but recently feuded, Erdman said, and one of the girls posted the picture on her MySpace page before police said she and another girl printed the fliers and distributed them in the school’s parking lot.

Bianchi said the students targeted a specific person and his sexual orientation. Under Illinois law, a person commits a hate crime when he or she commits a crime against another person based on that’s person race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, disabilities, or national origin.

“This is a classic case of the kind of conduct that the state Legislature was directing the law against,” Bianchi said. “This is what the legislators wanted to stop, this kind of activity.”

Investigators and school officials would not specify the flier’s contents or whether the students remained in school this week. But classmates said the flier showed a picture of two boys kissing along with the words, “God hates fags.”
Okay, okay, let’s not get bogged down in details.  The important thing, as Janet says, is that we must not let the forces of Sodom and “diversity” suppress our Constitutional and natural right to paper a school with pictures of some guy kissing another guy in an effort to get the first guy beaten up by the water polo team.
S. 1105, the so-called “hate crimes” bill, is the most dangerous bill in America. It will revoke what used to be called the freedom of speech. I don’t agree with all the speech I hear. You may not agree with mine. But if we don’t stop this bill together, we will all lose the right to disagree, to quote the Bible and to speak the truth. Speak up before you are locked up
Go to StopHateCrimesNow.com and send your senators a “Don’t Make Me A Criminal Packet” – complete with handcuffs, mug shots and a personal letter.
No, wait…that’s the packet you’re supposed to submit to eHarmony.
The alternative is 16-year-old girls imprisoned and ministers’ graves desecrated.  It’s Catholic mothers murdered, and the thought police in schools. What do you want the future to look like?
Personally…?


I’d like it to look like this:

Outside the Tent has more.


33 Responses to “Mountain Grown, The Stupidest Kind”

Oh, my sweet Lordy-Gordy. JANET FOLGER is saying homosexuals are the “real” haters? The same Janet Folger who thinks the hate crimes law are a way for scary, predatory homosexuals to coerce helpless straight men into having sex with them, less they be charged with a “hate crime” for rejecting their advance?
http://pandagon.net/2007/05/09/fundie-hate-crimes-legislation-gets-in-the-wa-of-gay-panic/
The quote from her in the above link is one of the most hateful, unhinged things I’ve heard a fundie say about gays…recently.
um…”lest”, not less. I was so busy checking to make sure I typed the link correctly I didn’t notice other errors.
…and the link didn’t work any way. Day-um. Hopefully somebody knows what quote I’m talking about, and will post a better link to it. Soon, since so far I’m the only one posting comments here.
Bill, I’m not even seeing a comment from you that uses the word “less” wrong, just the correction.
As I confessed at OtT, *I* killed Jerry Falwell. And had a dandy time doing it, too. So there.
Incidentally, Janet, it’s not especially symptomatic of love for homosexuals to blame them for 9/11. Not sure why, but some of those drama queen queer types might tend to find that offensive.
And is it just me, or are the rest of y’all finding the word “homosexual” to be far more offensive than “queer”, “gay”, and “dyke” in context? (I cannot speak to “fag”, myself.) But I’d rather be called a lesbo by most of the people I know than called a “homosexual” by someone like Janet. I admit that being more or less bisexual, I may have a different take on that than some others, but I dunno. I think I might be *more* offended by Janet’s calling me a homosexual if I were entirely gay. Thoughts?
Never mind. Here’s the quote from Folger on hate crimes:
“Mike is standing at a football bar, or he’s standing at a resturant, watching a game. Bruce comes out the restroom,and he’s touching up his makeup. He’s a crossdresser with red nail-polish and five o’clock shadow. He comes out and hits on Mike. Maybe he puts his arm around him or maybe he brushes or puts his hand through his hair.
“The average man would maybe want to push off such unwelcome advances,”Folger observes. However, she warns, “That, if you touch him, is a hate crime.”
Oh, yeah, there’s nothing bigoted or offensive about that. Nooo. Not..one…teensy…bit.
I think “homosexual” is kind of like the word “negro”. It was probably originally intended to be respectful-an alternative to intentionally offensive slurs-but now seems outdated and somewhat condescending. Even worse when it’s preceded by “the”.
When fundies use the phrase “the homosexual”, it makes it sound like we’re all interchangeable. (To them, we are.)
Oh, and which term is better: “bisexual” or “equal opportunity slut”*?
*term used in an episode of “Frasier’ by “Dr. Nora” an near-perfect parody of Dr. Laura, except she was smarter, and, as she was played by Christine Baranski, much more attractive.
I think Pam was mauling that annoying crossdresser column at her place and at Pandagon recently. It is a stunner. I know two more-than-occasionally crossdressers. One’s straight, one’s gay. And you’re right, to Janet and people like her, it’s all interchangeably perverted, which is why they leap out with the man-on-dog crap the minute they spot a gay couple holding hands.
I embrace the word “slut”, but it does mean something different from bisexual, though I’m sure Janet wouldn’t understand that, either.
Seriously, when my mom found out I was bi, she automatically assumed I was sleeping with pretty much everything that crossed my path, which I really wasn’t, um, that month anyway. It was a bizarre yet hilarious discussion that seemed to assume that only straight people do not automatically fuck anyone of the gender to which they are attracted, and also that if you are not right at that moment fucking people of both genders, you are not bi. I’ve come to characterize that as the “You Are What You Eat” argument, to my mother’s horror.
Really, I prefer the phrase “plays well with others”, but that’s just me. My partner likes “Dances With Anybody”, both of which cover a non-monogamous state as well as a more or less bisexual one.
And “the homosexuals” does recall the glory days of Reader’s Digest with their museum exhibit-style articles about The American Negro.
Oh, the good old days when you could ruin peoples’ lives and not have to worry about hate crime laws….
The Pandagon thing was what I was trying to link to. You can find it in the May archives, or in the “Bad Ideas” category.
Is anybody else here but you and me, D. Sidhe? I feel like a comments hog.
I dunno. They probably all have lives and stuff. It’s Friday night, after all. I feel less like a comments hog than like the proverbial “Those who can’t do”.
It’s either that or they’re waiting for the next time it comes around on the guitar.
Anyway, my partner is habitually monosyllabic and the housemate and I can go weeks without a single word to each other. You can get used to doing all the talking, believe me. As long as you’re amusing and don’t give people the impression you’re way, way smarter than they are, they usually don’t mind.
Oh, I don’t think there’s any chance of me giving anyone the impression I’m smarter than they are. :)
Oh! One last thing before I turn in for the night. Let’s see if we can link one of scott’s quotes from Folger with one I posted. Just fer fun:
“when homosexuals protest Dr. Falwell, they were surprised to look up and find the reverend hugging his harassers.”
“The average man would maybe want to push off such unwelcome advances. However, that, if you touch him, is a hate crime.”
There, see-I guess that’s what she meant when she said it was gays who hated him.
Don’t make me a criminal packet? Who in the hell would want to be a criminal packet. I don’t want anyone to make me a criminal packet. O my gods, what the hell is a criminal packet?
Oh wait, is that one of them things you can order on the ebay? Y’know, it comes with a striped shirt, an eye mask, a bag with a dollar sign on it, and a revolver?
Or is it one of them things the kids are saying nowadays like…Hey baby, wanna check out my criminal packet? Or, Hey mama, you gotta fine fine criminal packet?
Damnit, I’m so confused. But, I guess that’s what I get for being so poor I have to get drunk on Natural Ice.
I think I might be *more* offended by Janet’s calling me a homosexual if I were entirely gay. Thoughts?
I think I am just offended by Janet on general principle, no matter what comes out of her mouth. God, fundies are horrible. As for what to call bi-sexual…Fun with Dick and Jane?
Scott, just want to say that you and Mary are doing a heroic job of keeping the home fires burning here. Thank you so much. If you get the chance, please tell s.z. that we miss her, miss her, miss her – and keep us posted on how she’s doing? Thanks again.
Scott writes: “And why shouldn’t these budding brides of Christ have the right to speak out against sinful behavior? ”
Why indeed. They sound like jerks, right enough, but the protection of the first amendment, like the gentle rain from heaven, droppeth on their stupid asses just as it does on Nazi marches in Skokie and, yes, you ‘n’ me.
Hate crime charges require underlying crimes of some type against a victim, and the only crime here appears to be a charge of “disorderly conduct,” which traditionally is charged as the result of laughing out loud at an arresting officer. Big mistake, missy!
So it would seem that this little town is nuts, or its cops are, or the prosecuting attorney is, or the story is not being accurately reported, or the world has gone to hell in a hummer with me handcuffed to the bumper because this is absolutely not the purpose of hate crime legislation, in Illinois or anywhere else.
I’m more of the “be done by as you would do” sort; you know, oppress the oppressors, and if you want to remove other people’s freedoms, to Gitmo with ya. Makes me an imperfect lefty, but there you go…
Oh, and I’ve never noticed Mr. Falwell being at all loving (ov anything but money), so I don’t know what the heck she’s talking about. (I’ve never called Mr. Falwell reverend, and I’ll be damned (no doubt) if I’ll start now…)
As to the bisexual euphemisms, Fun with Dick and Jane is, as of now, my all time favorite (not that I have a horse in this race, being somewhat limited in my preferred gender orientation).
Chris, my money’s on “the story is not being accurately reported/the kid they targeted is the son of someone important in the small-town scheme of things”.
And I suspect you’re right, there might be a harassment charge there, but otherwise the girls are malicious, bullying fuckwits who should be ostracized and reviled by people everywhere with even a vestigial sense of manners, and I don’t actually see a hate crime.
Anybody else got a clue on this one?
And Scott, dude. What’s up with WordPress scolding me about my migraine-induced typos? Even the zombies are too polite to mention it. Also, why doesn’t WordPress know WordPress is a word?
I don’t know, D., the spam filter has been sequestering comments like crazy today, and with no visible rhyme or reason. Personally, however, I have to agree with it…I don’t think WordPress is a word.
S. 1105, the so-called “hate crimes” bill, is the most dangerous bill in America. It will revoke what used to be called the freedom of speech.
God I’m tired of reading this horseshit. Here is what S. 1105 actually says:
Whoever . . . willfully causes bodily injury to any person or, through the use of fire, a firearm, or an explosive or incendiary device, attempts to cause bodily injury to any person, because of the actual or perceived religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability of any person
`(i) shall be imprisoned not more than 10 years, fined in accordance with this title, or both; and

`(ii) shall be imprisoned for any term of years or for life, fined in accordance with this title, or both, if–
`(I) death results from the offense; or
`(II) the offense includes kidnaping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill.
The statute only covers violent acts. Nothing in it prevents you from saying “God hates fags” or whatever other shit you want to spew.
The high school girls are being charged under an Illinois law and couldn’t be charged under the federal law.
Bill, your non-working linkee is missing a “y.” I cut-’n-pasted it into my address field, added the “y,” and, VOOM! Off to Pam’s ya go! I leave it up to you to find the missing “y.”
Okay, that makes sense, Mark. Thanks. For some genuinely insane reason, I was apparently believing something Janet had said. I don’t know what came over me, really. It’s been kind of a genuinely insane month, though.
And Scott, I grovel. It seems it’s not actually WordPress at all…It’s the new Firefox update I just accidentally downloaded that’s nagging. On the other hand, if I right-click it offers the proper spelling, assuming there is one. (It’s somewhat perplexed by “fuckwit”, for example.) I apologize for assuming you had been brainwashed into some sort of Etymologically Correct cult or something, and I shall now go be embarrassed elsewhere.
Thanks, Marq-I knew I’d missed a letter SOMEWHERE.
http://pandagon.net/2007/05/09/fundie-hate-crimes-legislation-gets-in-the-way-of-gay-panic/
I feel kinda dumb for missing that. Although the “Wa of gay panic” makes it sound like whining is involved. Which is likely true.
Mark S., thanks for pointing out what the hate crimes law actually says. I have to wonder-do people like Folger simply not know what they’re protesting against, or are they intentionally lying? In her case, it’s especially hard to tell.
“Dammit” Janet Folger asks …
Rocky Horror Picture Show reference received and appreciated.
Thanks, BTW, we’re doing our best to keep the home fires burning. I spoke to s.z. day before yesterday, and she’s finally feeling a bit better. Whether her system is strong enough to take a dose of Ann Coulter or Dr. Mike Adams, Ph.D…that’s another matter. But it did sound like she was anxious to get back into it.
Well, she should work her way up to Adams and Coulter. Maybe start with something smaller and whinier, like, say one of the Bens.
Or L’il Debbie Snackcakes. She’s been, um, particularly tasty lately. Or did I mean “testy”?
Lil Debbie is hard enough on the constitution when you’re feeling okay. I agree with Bill. Start with a Ben.
And tell her we miss her. :-)
Re: “plays well with others” and “Dances With Anybody.”
I prefer “does not discriminate on the basis of gender.” :)
The girls were arrested on a list of about 4 different offenses, last I heard. As for the hate crime portion, I would say that encouraging violence is a possible crime, but may not quite fall under the hate crime umbrella.
Oh, and they weren’t offered bail because of a violent home. There wasn’t anyone to turn the girls over to, even if they had been given bail.
Sagra, I’ve made very few friends over the years with my assertion that picking a potential mate on the basis of gender is a form of bigotry. But I keep saying it anyway. ;-)
In my case, it really does seem to be a matter of the personality being far more important to me than literally any specific details of the body it’s attached to. I know why that is, but apparently can’t explain it to anyone else, which will probably always annoy me on some level.
“Nevertheless, the subsequent reach-around still came as something of a shock.”
Best. Line. Of. My. Week.
And as for self-identifying as a bisexual, I prefer, “Equal-Opportunity Offender.” If I like ‘em, goody. If I don’t, fuck ‘em sideways with a chainsaw.
I’d say more, but I’ve got six fucking kittens yelping for attention in my bathroom, so I gotta go.
It’s not a form a bigotry, D.Sidhe, I just can’t take being ignored by twice as many people. It’s bad enough being invisible to hot guys-who needs the added rejection?

No comments:

Post a Comment